"Good economics makes for good politics. We are today at the cusp of a development explosion."
Piyush Goyal (59) is the Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Textiles, and Leader of the House, Rajya Sabha. He has previously helmed the Ministry of Railways, Finance, Corporate Affairs, Coal, Power, New & Renewable Energy, and Mines.
KEY MILESTONES UNDER HIS TENURE:
- India clocked its highest-ever exports of about $776 Bn in 2022-23
- Led the signing of a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with UAE, the fastest-ever negotiated FTA globally, & India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (ECTA), India’s 1st agreement with a developed country after a decade
- Oversaw the launch of Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Schemes to boost Make In India
- Led the implementation of the world’s largest food security program, Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) by distributing free foodgrains to nearly 80 crore poor and vulnerable people over a 2-year period
- As Minister of Railways, helped India achieve the best-ever safety record of zero passenger deaths in rail accidents
- As Power, Coal, and New & Renewable Energy Minister, successfully implemented the world’s largest LED bulb distribution program (UJALA)
- Was awarded the 4th Annual Carnot Prize in 2018 in recognition of pathbreaking transformations in India’s energy sector by making energy efficiency a people’s movement. Carnot Prize is the most prestigious award in the energy sector given by the Kleinman Center for Energy Policy at the University of Pennsylvania for distinguished contributions to energy policy through scholarship or practice.
During his 35-year-long political career, he has held several important positions at different levels in the world’s largest political party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and is in its National Executive. He has also been the National Treasurer of the Party.
He has had a brilliant academic record – an all-India second-rank holder Chartered Accountant and a second-rank holder in Law from Mumbai University. He was also a well-known investment banker. His father, Late Vedprakash Goyal was Union Minister of Shipping, and the National Treasurer of the BJP for over two decades. His mother Chandrakanta Goyal was elected thrice to the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly from Mumbai. He is married to Seema, an active social worker, and has two children – Dhruv and Radhika.