“Teesta in Sikkim, stalled for seven years, back on track. On October 1 work started after Rs 9,000 crore of investment. 93 percent investment was done earlier,” Goyal tweeted on Thursday.
Teesta hydro power project, which was stalled for seven years, is back on track as the work on the power plant in Sikkim started on October 1, Power Minister Piyush Goyal said.
“Teesta in Sikkim, stalled for seven years, back on track. On October 1 work started after Rs 9,000 crore of investment. 93 percent investment was done earlier,” Goyal tweeted on Thursday.
Earlier in September this year, he had said that the government will very soon resolve the issues related to Teesta power project in Sikkim which was holding back an investment of around Rs 9,000 crore. The project commonly know as Teesta III is being implemented by Teesta Urja Ltd.
The company is developing the 6×200 MW Teesta Stage-III Hydro Electric Power Project on Teesta River situated in North District of Sikkim.
This project is a part of overall development of Teesta basin being undertaken by Sikkim Government. The project is run of the river designed to generate 5,214 Million kWh (units) annually in 90 percent dependable year, as per the information provided.
A senior official of one of the companies that invested in the project said that the first unit (200 MW) of the project is expected to be commissioned in March 2017.
Thereafter, other units will start generating power at an interval of one to two months one by one. The official said that all the statutory clearances for the Project were received by November 2007 and the civil works for the project were started in January 2008.
The first unit of the project was to be commissioned in 2013 but the project got delayed due to earthquake in 2011 and issues among promoters.
The official said that now Sikkim Government holds 51 percent equity in the project followed by Singapore-based Asia Genco Pte (37 percent) and PTC India (8 percent).
Goyal in another tweet said, “In our ministry, we are converting everything into (mobile) app, to tell the people what we are doing and for monitoring work. You can monitor our performance and also participate in our efforts, with the same enthusiasm, honesty and commitment.”
“Electrified 56 villages in Jharkhand last week. Finally, people of these villages can avail the benefits of power,” the minister tweeted.
Source Link: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/economy/teesta-hydro-project-backtrack-goyal_4606601.html?utm_source=ref_article
Piyush Goyal, Union minister of power, coal and new and renewable energy on Saturday said that the target of doubling of coal production and energy generation is achievable by 2019.
“After the allocation of coal blocks, I believe that double the coal production and energy generation are achievable targets. We have started the process of taking the targets into account”, he said through a video address at a conclave organised by a leading local media channel, OTv.
The Union minister said, lakhs of crores of rupees will flow into the coal bearing states by the auction of coal blocks through e-auction.
After the Supreme Court’s land mark decision to cancel 204 coal blocks, the incumbent government is auctioning the blocks through e-auction mode.
For addressing the coal needs of the nation, the Union government has brought in an ordinance to auction the coal blocks.
On the basis of the ordinance, the coal blocks will be auctioned in such a manner that the power plants, steel plants, captive end users, cement factories will get adequate coal, said Goyal.
States like Jharkhand, Odisha, Chhatishgarh, West Bengal will reap maximum benefits, he added.
For transmission and distribution of power, Centre has plans to invest Rs three lakh crore through two schemes- Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana and integrated power development by way of grants to the states.
Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) has two components namely- to separate agriculture and non-agriculture feeders, facilitating judicious fostering of supply to agricultural and non-agricultural consumers in rural areas and strengthening and augmentation of sub-transmission and distribution infrastructure in rural areas, including metering of distribution transformers/feeders/consumers.
The Union government has set a target to provide 24/7 electricity to every household, industries and adequate power supply to agriculture lands by 2019.
“Congratulations to Himachal Pradesh on joining UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana). We are confident of every single state joining UDAY,” Goyal said in a tweet.
Power Minister Piyush Goyal on Wednesday expressed confidence that all the states in the country will join the Centre’s ‘UDAY’ scheme for revival of debt-laden power distribution companies.
Himachal Pradesh today became the fourth state after Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand and Rajasthan to join the scheme.
“Congratulations to Himachal Pradesh on joining UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana). We are confident of every single state joining UDAY,” Goyal said in a tweet. The minister further said he met the heads of all the banks with exposure to discoms.
“Met the heads of all the banks with exposure to discoms. All banks are fully participating in UDAY,” he tweeted.
The scheme is optional and gets operationalised by signing a pact between states, state discoms and the Centre. The central government’s UDAY aims at reviving ailing state electricity boards and operational efficiencies of power distribution companies. It envisages on reducing interest burden, cost of power and AT&C losses.
Consequently, the discoms will become sustainable to provide adequate and reliable power enabling 24×7 power supply. The scheme provides that states would take over 75 percent debt of discoms, as on September 30 in two years.
The three rail infrastructure projects are Tori-Shivpur Kathotia of CCL (Central Coalfields Ltd) in Jharkhand, East West & East Corridor of South Eastern Coalfields Limited (SECL) in Chhattisgarh and Jharsuguda Barpali of Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd (MCL) in Odisha
Two rail projects to facilitate faster movement of coal are expected to be completed in June and another rail link may get ready by 2017, Parliament was informed today.
The three rail infrastructure projects are Tori-Shivpur Kathotia of CCL (Central Coalfields Ltd) in Jharkhand, East West & East Corridor of South Eastern Coalfields Limited (SECL) in Chhattisgarh and Jharsuguda Barpali of Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd (MCL) in Odisha, the minister said.
“The likely completion of these rail projects is June 2016, December 2017 and June 2016, respectively,” Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
The projects, he said, have been taken up by Coal India (CIL) for capital outlay of Rs 8,579 crore.
“To realise the potential of the major coalfields namely, North Karanpura of CCL in Jharkhand, Mand Raigarh of SECL in Chhattisgarh and Ib-Talcher of MCL in Odisha, three major rail infrastructure projects have been taken up by CIL,” the minister said.
The minister further said the government has approved the proposal regarding disinvestment of 10 percent equity of Coal India out of the government’s shareholding of 78.65 percent through offer for sale (OFS).
“Disinvestment of 10 percent government equity will help in meeting the minimum shareholding norm of 25 percent for listed government companies prescribed by Sebi,” he said.
In a separate reply to the house, Goyal said that as per the information provided by the Coal Ministry, “as on November 30, 2015, an amount of Rs 8,279.19 crore (provisional) is outstanding against state electricity boards and power companies, including independent power producers (IPPs) to be paid to CIL”.
The minister said however that the Delhi government has not approached the Union Power Ministry or him on sorting out issues related to PPA for shutting down the Badarpur power plant, which is one of the measures being contemplated to curb the rising pollution in the national capital.
Amid Delhi deciding to shut down the Badarpur power station, Power Minister Piyush Goyal on Friday said the state government is free to work within the framework of power purchase agreement (PPA) and with proper planning.
The minister said however that the Delhi government has not approached the Union Power Ministry or him on sorting out issues related to PPA for shutting down the Badarpur power plant, which is one of the measures being contemplated to curb the rising pollution in the national capital.
The sanctity of PPA needs to be respected, Goyal said adding that the Delhi government is free to work within that framework. “It cannot shut down a power plant without proper planning,” the minister said. According to the information provided on NTPC ‘s portal, Delhi is the sole beneficiary state of the plant, having installed capacity of 720 MW.
An expert said that besides the payment of fixed cost for shutting down the Badarpur plant, Delhi government would have to sort out other issues like the plan of islanding of the capital region. Under the scheme which is to be completed, the national capital’s power system will be isolated and not affected by a failure in the regional grid.
Mumbai has such system in place. On acceptability of UDAY scheme, meant for revival of debt stressed power distribution companies, Goyal said that most of the states will come on board by March next year.
As many as nine states have already communicated their willingness to join the scheme including Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Rajasthan, Punjab and Jammu & Kashmir. Exuding confidence about the revival of Indian economy, Goyal said that India will be bright spot in 2016 when most of the major economies facing serious challenges.
“India provided leadership not just to protect interests of developing and less developed countries, but to balance the deep concerns of future generations with climate justice, equity and fairness for all,” the Ministry of Power said in a statement, quoting Mr Goyal.
India was the cynosure of all eyes at the Conference of Parties (COP21) climate summit in Paris and ultimately lived up to the expectations, Power and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal said.
“India provided leadership not just to protect interests of developing and less developed countries, but to balance the deep concerns of future generations with climate justice, equity and fairness for all,” the Ministry of Power said in a statement, quoting Mr Goyal.
Mr Goyal was speaking at the World Leadership Dialogue in Pune.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has described the landmark climate change deal reached in Paris as the victory of “climate justice” and said there are no winners or losers in the outcome.
The world, Mr Goyal said, saw “true leadership” after 196 countries tackled the most difficult problem facing our planet – climate change and global warming – and converge with a historic agreement, and path forward for humanity.
“1,600 points of dissent reduced to 0 in 10 days,” he said, in an apparent reference to different ideas and viewpoints that floated around.
In a tweet, the minister said: “Congratulations to PM Narendra Modi on the historic ParisAgreement to fight climate change, which fully safeguards India’s interests.”
The historic agreement was reached after tough deliberations among participating countries.
Source Link: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/current-affairs/india-livedto-expectations-at-climate-summit-goyal_4562701.html
All the Un-electrified villages are to be electrified by 1st May, 2018. This was stated by Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal & New and Renewable Energy in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
The Minister further stated that for the financial year 2015-16, the budgetary allocation under the Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana is Rs. 4500 Crore. Several Power Distribution Companies (DISCOMs) of various states, including Rajasthan have large outstanding debts.
Ministry of Power has launched a Scheme UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana) for improving operational and financial efficiency of DISCOMs. The scheme envisages reduction in interest burden, reduction in cost of power and improvement of operational efficiency. The mechanism includes taking over of Discoms debt by the respective States and measures to prevent future slippages, the Minister added.
Source Link:
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=132390
NEW DELHI: Over 30,000 MW of stalled power generation capacity has been revived in the last 18 months, the government said in Lok Sabha today, adding that it is working to ensure that there are no problems related to electricity supplies in the coming 10 years.
Piyush Goyal, Minister for Coal and Power, said there is enough coal and electricity available in the country. In the last 18 months, the government has revived stalled power generation capacity of over 30,000 MW, he said while replying to questions.
In the last 18 months, the government has revived stalled power generation capacity of over 30,000 MW, he said while replying to questions.
According to him, there are some power problems in Southern India, mainly on account of transmission issues. About 4,000 MW generation capacity have been added in the region in the last 18 months and additional 20,000 MW would be installed in the next three years, he added.
Goyal emphasised that there is no politics with respect to the government’s efforts towards electrification of villages. The government has launched Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) for separation of agriculture and non- agriculture feeders, strengthening of sub-transmission and distribution infrastructure for adequate electricity supply in rural areas.
“Under the scheme, all un-electrified villages/ habitations would be covered for electricification which would give access to electricity to rural households. All the remaining un-electrified villages are targeted to be electrified by May 1, 2018,” Goyal said.
In the 12th Plan period (2012-17), projects amounting to Rs 63,810 crore has been sanctioned so far under DDUGJY, including the subsumed Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana, he added. With regard to electrification works in Uttar Pradesh, Goyal said his Ministry is yet to receive the data from the state government.
Source Link:
JHUNJHUNU: The Central government is focusing on electrifying every household and is preparing a policy for issuing connection to hamlets in the country, Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal said today.
He said the government would include Jhunjhunu in a pilot project related to electricity. “The government’s priority is to ensure electricity in all hamlets and households and concrete steps have been taken up in this direction,” Goyal told reporters during his visit to the city. He said the government has asked the states to hold monthly meetings chaired by MPs to review power related issues so that the problems can be addressed.
Goyal was in the city to attend a programme organised by a private foundation in which Noble Prize winner Kailash Satyarthi was also present.
The pilot project is about enabling a user to view power consumption on his mobile. The consumer who uses more than 200 units of electricity will be linked with a smart meter, which will be linked with a computer. The system will provide a facility to the user to see power consumption on his mobile phone. Piyush Goyal also called upon people to not involve in power theft and complain to competent authorities on detecting any case.
Vanijya Bhawan, 16, Akbar Rd, New Delhi - 110001
Lok Kalyan Karyalay - 56, Balasinor Society, SV Road, Opp Fire Brigade, Kandivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400067